Sunday, August 23, 2015

The begining

Where do I start? Psoriasis is something that I have been dealing with since I was 14 years old. I didn't think much of it at the time because no one could really see where it was unless they looked hard at my elbow or if I had a pair of shorts on. I had a classmate that had it far worse then I did. Back in those days, I didn't have much access to the internet, and it never crossed my mind that I would still have it once I grew up.

My psoriasis would come and go as it pleased similar to a very good friend who you would only talk with every few months, always picking back up exactly where you left off.  I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and spent 18 months on a mission(teaching about my beliefs as well as learning a new language and culture) in Santiago,Chile. I didn't have many flare ups while I was there, but that was probably because even though I was stressed out at times I was eating healthier and walking everywhere I went.


My psoriasis started to worsen within the last two years. I would have breakouts on my ears, face, chest and torso.  I had come to the conclusion that it was going to be there
This was until I started to have severe aches in my joints this past January. At the time, I did not have health insurance so I told myself it was just the flu. It wasn't. My joints kept on hurting and getting worse. My mom and I googled psoriatic arthritis and found the following information:

Psoriatic arthritis is a form of arthritis that affects some people who have psoriasis — a condition that features red patches of skin topped with silvery scales. Most people develop psoriasis first and are later diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, but the joint problems can sometimes begin before skin lesions appear.
Joint pain, stiffness and swelling are the main symptoms of psoriatic arthritis. They can affect any part of your body, including your fingertips and spine, and can range from relatively mild to severe. In both psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, disease flares may alternate with periods of remission.
No cure for psoriatic arthritis exists, so the focus is on controlling symptoms and preventing damage to your joints. Without treatment, psoriatic arthritis may be disabling.


The words, "No cure for psoriatic arthritis exists and without treatment it can be disabling." made me think, "Oh crap!  I can't have this!"

The thoughts that instantly came to my mind afterward: 
1. When is my insurance Kicking in?
2. What kind of doctor is best for me to see?
3. How much are medications and treatment going to cost?

4. Maybe I don't have it and I am making myself nervous. What 32 year old gets arthritis?!?!?!?!  

I checked stats online and it said 15-30% of 30-50 year olds with psoriasis get psoriatic arthritis...... 


All I need now is Effie trinket to say
"May the odds be ever in your favor."


2 comments:

juleahr said...

Jauni,
I didn't know you struggled with this. I have not heard of it before, but it sounds tough! I will keep you in my prayers.

I wish I had a magic wand that would take it all away, but I don't :( so just know I love you! and if I can help, let me know.
Juleah

Jode said...

I am so proud of you! You have a hard but great journey ahead! I know with the help of your Heavenly Father and your awesome Dr. Porter you are going to do great.
I loved your video clips! They gave me a good belly laugh...which hurt because I still have stitches😂 ❤️U tuab