Sunday, September 6, 2015

Inconceivable

Inconceivable 

Inconceivable was the the word that I kept repeating to myself after my mother and I figured out my symptoms where from psoriatic arthritis, and yes in case you wanted to know it did sound like this:


I did not want to believe that I had this. I tried to wait patiently for my doctors appointment that happened to be about two months after I had self diagnosed myself. I was hoping that I was wrong but deep down inside I kind of knew that it was psoriatic arthritis. 

I tried my hardest to not let it affect my job and other daily activities. I tried to focus on something else when I had flare ups and I was working. I thought mostly about trying to help out the patient I was talking to at the time but during down time I would focus on reading another chapter in a book to be able to give my hands a rest. Most of the flare ups that I have are in my hands, back and occasionally my knees(which makes it a pain to walk up stairs and makes me fee like I am 80 years old). 

I do not know why I was so worried about what doctor was the one I should see, I have had the blessing of having an uncle who is a D.O. and happens to have a practice near my home. Once my insurance kicked in I called and made an appointment with him. 

I took my sister with me because I needed some support(sisters are good a that). I took a deep breath and walked into the office. I am nervous but shouldn't be my doctor had known me my whole life why is it so nerve racking?

I was mostly nervous because my psoriasis had flared up on my forehead (I feel like it's a giant stamp on my face saying look at me) as he asked I said something like "this" as I pointed to my forehead and explained the joint pain I had been having for almost three months. I let him know that the joint pain I have is basically everywhere at times others it was just in my hands. He said it was psoriatic arthritis, I said yep that's what mom and I thought. He begin to explain to me what was causing both my psoriasis and the arthritis and it is the following:


SIBO(small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). He explained to me that the extra bacteria that I had is what is causing my psoriasis and has progressed to causing the inflammation I have in my joints. He then handed me a packet of papers for the SIBO Diet Food Guide.As he explained the next process I looked through the papers. It's not so bad, I like most the things on these lists... except for the fish... I have to get used to eating fish, I need more meats besides red meat and chicken. No GRAINS, I was kind of bummed out about that but knew the hardest part for me would be giving up my Coke. I love it so much I collect tins,Mexican Coke bottles,I even have a Coke puzzle somewhere. Water just tastes, well like nothing. I don't want to just drink water all day that is boring. How do I organize the food? Well I have room in my fridge since I share it with roommates? The bright side to it. I LOVE to cook. Time to get new cook books and make up new recipes,which I will share on here with everyone. 















4 comments:

mikensi said...

I'm glad you are in your way to healing. I'm doing no grains and no dairy and no legumes and no sugar lol. We can keep each other afloat!

mikensi said...

I'm glad you are in your way to healing. I'm doing no grains and no dairy and no legumes and no sugar lol. We can keep each other afloat!

Jode said...

Great job Jauni! Things are looking up. I grown to LOVE water. H20. When I want to splurge I by myself smart water or Fiji water. I have no clue if it "really" is better or not. But sometimes it just makes you feel more intelligent or like you have traveled somewhere exotic... It makes me laugh every time I buy water and now I feel a twinge of guilt for the environment...., I can't wait to see what you cook!

Jauni said...

Thanks guys. Mikensi I need to know your blog address as well